Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get an appointment at the TAGMED clinic?
To obtain an appointment at the TAGMED clinic, you can call the center directly, either in Montreal at +1 (877) 672-9060 or in Terrebonne at (450) 704-4447.
You can also visit our website for more information and book your appointment online here .
- How long does it take to get an appointment?
Most appointments at the TAGMED clinic, for a person who is already a patient of our clinic, can be made on the same day or the next day. Patients requesting an emergency appointment can be seen the same day, if they are willing to travel to the Montreal or Terrebonne clinic, depending on where the clinic is open that day. We are in Terrebonne on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and in Montreal on Tuesday and Thursday. Appointments for new patients are usually made within 3 days.
- What happens during your first visit?
The first visit to the TAGMED clinic will be as follows:
- A staff member will greet you and ask you to fill out a health history form, which includes information such as your medical history, allergies or current health problems. You will be asked to sign an informed consent form. The purpose of informed consent is to ensure that the patient fully understands the implications and risks associated with a treatment, so that they can make informed and educated decisions about how they wish to proceed.
- Waiting time in the waiting room is minimal and you will be seen by our health care professional at the time of your appointment, if you are not late, of course.
- In this regard, complete the Health History Form (download here ) before you arrive for your appointment. If you are unable to do so, please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time to allow time to complete it before meeting with our therapist.
- Afterwards, you will meet with one of the qualified practitioners to discuss your condition and answer any questions or concerns you may have.
- Your practitioner may also perform a physical examination and/or suggest a variety of other tests (e.g., x-ray), if deemed necessary.
- If your treatment requires a physician's referral for medical imaging, it will be discussed with the practitioner and the appropriate information will be provided to obtain this request.
- Finally, your practitioner will discuss with you the steps to take regarding your treatment or care plan and can answer any other questions you may have about it so that you can make an informed decision.
- In most cases, we will be able to start the first treatment unless your condition requires further investigation to exclude underlying pathology.
- Calculate that you will be at our clinic for about 1 hour in total.
- At the end of the treatment, you should pay the fee, as you do at each visit.
- We accept cash, debit, Visa or Mastercard.
- We will print or email you a claim form for your insurance.
- You will need to schedule your next appointment with the receptionist, if suggested by your therapist.
- If your condition requires more than one treatment, we will explain how many treatments you will need and how often. Since every patient is different, and we do not know the severity or nature of your condition at the time of reading this, we are not able to provide you with more information in this regard. All of this will be discussed at your first visit. However, you will be able to get a general idea of the course of treatment for your particular condition by consulting our section on conditions and their treatment here
- How long will my first visit take?
The length of your first visit to the TAGMED clinic will depend on your reason for coming. However, in general, it will be between 30 minutes and 60 minutes.
You can help us reduce the time you spend in our clinic by completing the health history form which you can download here
Finally, if you have not been able to fill out our form, as mentioned above, please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time to ensure that you have enough time to complete your form, properly discuss your condition, do the evaluation and your treatment.
- What forms do I need to fill out?
If you are a new patient, you can download the necessary forms before your first visit here .
If you are an existing patient, your therapist may ask you to fill out a re-evaluation form: if you have a new condition or if you are coming for a re-evaluation of your condition after several visits.
- Will I be able to start my treatment at the first visit?
In general, you may be able to start your treatment during your first visit to the TAGMED clinic.
However, this will depend on the reasons you made the appointment and the type and level of care you need. The staff will review each case individually and make a decision on the spot at the end of the initial examination.
If you have already had X-rays, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), SCAN (computed tomography or CT scan) or ultrasound examinations and have the written reports, please make sure you have them with you on your first visit to our clinic: this will allow us to begin your treatment without delay.
Therefore, you may be able to begin treatment on your first visit to the TAGMED clinic, but this will depend on the nature of your visit and the severity of your condition: a simple back pain with no worrisome neurological symptoms can usually be treated on the first visit, whereas a herniated disc with severe numbness in the legs or arms requires medical imaging studies before starting any treatment, to ensure that there are no contraindications to treatment and that we can safely begin treatment.
. Medical management and examinations will be performed at your appointment and a personalized treatment plan will be developed to meet your specific needs.
- What are the fees for your treatments?
Fees for treatment at TAGMED vary depending on the type of treatment and services provided. We will provide you with an insurance receipt if needed and our rates are competitive. The best way to know the exact price is to consult our "prices" section. here
In general, the first visit will cost you between $100 and $130Depending on the treatment that will be required for your condition.
- Is there a consultation or examination fee?
Yes and no: TAGMED only charges a consultation fee if the patient does not wish to start treatment on the same day as the first visit and if the consultation took more than 15 minutes. However, if you have a treatment on the day of your first visit, we will not charge you a consultation fee: you will only pay the fee for the treatment you received. See the price list of treatments here. Otherwise, the fee for an initial consultation will be $85.
Similarly, there will be no charge for your initial exam if you have your treatment that same day.
For those of you who are unsure of the difference between a treatment, a consultation and a review, here is a short summary:
A consultation is a discussion between a therapist and a patient during which the therapist asks questions about your health and the condition for which you are seeing him or her, gives advice, and suggests different tests to evaluate you.
On the other hand, a review is a procedure that allows the practitioner to gather more information about the patient's health and may include physical tests (range of motion, orthopedic or neurological tests) or an evaluation based on your x-ray, MRI, SCAN or ultrasound test report.
Finally, a treatment is an intervention plan designed by a therapist to treat or alleviate the symptoms of a health condition (e.g. herniated disc) or injury (e.g. lumbar sprain). Treatment may include manual therapy, traction and/or therapies such as laser or shockwave, as appropriate. See the list of treatments offered at the TAGMED clinic here .
- How much will the first visit cost me?
The first consultation at TAGMED can cost between $75 and $185, depending on the type of treatment provided. Additional fees may apply for complementary therapies. For example, if you are seeing us for treatment of one or more herniated discs in your lower back, you will pay $130 for neuro spinal decompression treatment for one area of your spine. On the other hand, if you would rather have one neurovertebral decompression treatment for a herniated disc (or discs) in your lower back and a second treatment for a herniated disc (or discs) in your neck, it will cost $185, as these are two treatments for two different areas (the neurovertebral decompression table cannot do traction of your back and neck at the same time: it can only do one area (lower back or neck) at a time. See the complete price list by clicking here
- What kind of patients come to us?
The TAGMED clinic is a fascinating place. It serves a wide range of patients from around the world, from athletes to people with chronic pain. Its services attract people of all ages, genders and lifestyles who are looking for state-of-the-art health care from experts in the field. Patients come to the clinic for treatments that may not be available in their area, as well as for access to specialists who can provide complex therapies. Everyone is always treated with respect and kindness, while benefiting from the latest technological and medical advances. So, if you need specialized care or want to be seen more by top professionals, TAGMED is the place to go!
- What is specific osteopathy?
Osteopathy is a manual therapy technique that consists of manipulating the body to reduce pain, discover dysfunctions and restore joint mechanics. Two very distinct osteopathic approaches are specific osteopathy and classical osteopathy. Specific osteopathy is a more modern approach that uses evidence-based findings and current technologies, while classical osteopathy returns to the original form and uses deeper manipulation of the body while relying on the osteopath's intuition and experience.
Specific osteopathy is different from classical osteopathy: it is a unique form of manual medicine focused on the precise treatment of musculoskeletal dysfunctions through evidence-based scientific treatments. This technique aims to reduce aches and pains, while providing many patients with increased mobility. Osteopaths also place importance on overall health, taking into account lifestyle and emotional states before choosing an appropriate treatment plan. It is particularly suitable for those who prefer natural alternatives to medical treatment, as osteopathy not only provides relief, but also promotes long-term well-being.
Specific osteopaths are highly skilled practitioners who not only use their hands to evaluate and treat various physical dysfunctions of the body, but also use medical imaging (X-rays, MRI, SCAN or ultrasound) and complementary high-tech therapy. These treatments are very specific to the patient's condition and therefore much more effective and safe.
For example, a herniated disc will not be treated with classical structural osteopathy mobilizations. Although this technique may provide some short-term relief, it will have no medium or long-term benefit. On the other hand, numerous clinical studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of neurovertebral decompression treatment for herniated discs. See some published scientific articles on neurovertebral decompression here
- Should I use ice or heat to relieve my pain?
One of the most persistent difficulties many people face is finding pain relief. Unfortunately, there is no single answer to the question of whether ice or heat is the best solution to relieve your pain. It all depends on the nature and location of the pain. If you have a muscle strain or sprain, applying ice will help reduce inflammation in the area and generally make you more comfortable. For joint problems such as arthritis that cause stiffness, heat will generally be more beneficial in soothing the area and increasing flexibility. If you are not sure which method to use, consult us for more information. See our simplified guide in French here or in English here .
- Do I need to have x-rays to receive care at TAGMED?
At TAGMED, we strive to provide the best care for all of our patients. The safety and health of our patients is our top priority, so in some cases, x-rays may be necessary in order to receive the best care possible. Our team of professionals will determine whether or not x-rays are necessary and will explain the reasons for any x-ray request. Understanding why a particular test or procedure is needed can help ease discomfort and help you make informed decisions about your care.
We all need to be careful about the frequency of our x-rays, as excessive exposure to ionizing radiation can pose a significant health risk. Physicians should only order x-rays for truly necessary examinations, ensuring that these examinations are performed in the safest possible manner, using specialized shielding and techniques. Patients also play an important role in limiting their own exposure by asking tough questions about every x-ray they may need and understanding why it is medically necessary in order to assess their own risks. By taking these steps, we can ensure that exposure to ionizing radiation is kept to an absolute minimum while providing health care professionals with the diagnostic images needed to make informed decisions.
Rest assured that if X-rays are recommended, it is because they are necessary to provide you with the most appropriate care for your health condition!
- How do I prepare for the first visit to the TAGMED clinic?
To be prepared for your first visit to the TAGMED clinic, we recommend that you:
- Prepare a list of questions and find out your current medical history (including medications you are taking).
- Take any relevant information such as the results of examinations or laboratory tests performed by a previous health care professional.
- If you have a ticket to another specialist's referral, please bring it with you.
- If you have developed any new or unusual symptoms between the time your appointment was scheduled and the time you arrive at the clinic, please report them to the health care professional who will evaluate you.
- Download, print and complete our health history form here
- Familiarize yourself with the different treatments offered by our clinic and know what you can expect.
- Also, make sure you are aware of the different risks and possible side effects associated with the treatment offered by the Tagmed clinic.
- You should also take any necessary steps (e.g., apply ice to the inflamed area) to ensure that your body is ready for further treatment.
- Finally, if you were unable to complete our form, as mentioned above, arrive 15 minutes before your appointment time to ensure you have enough time to discuss your condition, make the assessment and your treatment.
- Do your treatments at TAGMED require a doctor's referral?
Most of the treatments offered at the TAGMED clinic can be taken without a medical recommendation or prescriptionfor an initial consultation.
That being said, if your condition requires treatment for a specific condition such as a herniated disc, your general practitioner may recommend an appropriate medical imaging test (X-ray, MRI, SCAN) tailored to your needs.
If you have already had these tests done, please obtain the results and have them available at your first visit to our clinic.
- What health conditions do you treat at the TAGMED clinic?
Our experienced therapists have the expertise to assess and treat a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions, including chronic back pain, neck pain and headaches. Using highly specialized treatments, they can help relieve referred pain away from the areas that were originally injured - improving their patients' overall quality of life.
More specifically, the TAGMED clinic treats a variety of health conditions including:
- Musculoskeletal disorders (joint and muscle pain)
- Sports and/or professional injuries
- Chronic and/or acute pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Herniated disc
- Heel Spur
And many other conditions. To see the complete list and more details about each condition click here
- Are your treatments covered by my group insurance?
Treatments offered at the TAGMED clinic may be covered by your group insurance. The amount of reimbursement will depend on the terms of your insurance policy and the services that are provided. We recommend that you contact your insurance company for more information and to clarify the amount you will receive in reimbursement.
Be aware that insurance covers for care provided by professionals (e.g. osteopath or naturopath) rather than for a specific treatment, such as robotic traction (neurovertebral decompression).
Furthermore, even though we are a member of several associations, insurers can at any time include or exclude an association in a very random way, without us being informed.
- What treatments are offered at the TAGMED clinic?
TAGMED Clinic offers a variety of treatments, including osteopathy, neurovertebral decompression, laser therapy and shockwave therapy. Each of these treatments is designed to help relieve pain and improve body function. Treatments may include specific manual movements, specialized stretches or pulls, mobilizations and complementary therapies that are designed to address your condition in a very specific way with the goal of achieving quick and lasting relief.
Our forward-thinking approach to health care means we use the most reliable and well-documented technologies, backed by substantial scientific research. Get ready for an unparalleled level of care!
You can get more details about our treatments here
- Do your osteopathic treatments at TAGMED include massage?
No, the osteopathic treatments offered at TAGMED are evidence-based structural osteopathic treatments and do NOT include massage. The osteopathic techniques used may vary depending on your condition and the treatment recommended by the treating staff.
The main difference between massage therapy and osteopathy is that massage therapy is only focused on relaxation and the treatment of muscular tension, while osteopathy offers a more holistic approach to correcting structural dysfunctions and restoring normal body movement. Massage therapy will not be able to directly correct these structural dysfunctions, whereas osteopathy focuses on understanding the underlying cause of the problem and resolving it through various manual techniques.
- How long will my treatment last?
The length of each visit to the TAGMED clinic will depend on your initial treatment plan and the type of treatment used in your case. Care may vary depending on your diagnosis and may take time for more complex procedures. Nevertheless, most appointments are intended to be short and to the point, to ensure that you get the best treatment possible.
In this regard, a shockwave treatment may take 5 minutes for certain conditions while a neuro spinal decompression treatment for a herniated disc requires a combined treatment of 30 minutes in total. As for osteopathic treatments, here is our WARNING Contrary to most osteopathic clinics, we do not believe that a general treatment of a fixed duration (e.g. 60 minutes) is the most efficient way to solve the health problems for which you consult us: specific osteopathy is more precise and efficient than traditional osteopathy because the treatment is more specific and personalized to the exact condition of the patient. Therefore, the treatment in specific osteopathy generally takes from 10 to 30 minutes depending on the condition to be treated and the level of pain and/or inflammation. Generally speaking, the more pain the person is in, the less time the procedure will take since we need to relieve the pain quickly without further irritating the structure where the inflammation is occurring. Obviously, if you are looking for a long term relaxation treatment, you are not in the right place. However, if you are looking for a specific treatment, personalized to your condition, and effective, you have found the clinic that can help you.
- How much treatment will I need?
It is difficult to predict how many treatments will be required at the TAGMED clinic as this will depend on the specific needs of the patient and the treatment plan developed by the treating staff.
In addition, the amount of treatment you need at TAGMED will depend on your condition, its chronicity, severity and the therapist's recommendations. Treatments can range from a simple examination to a series of visits to monitor your progress and adjust the treatment plan accordingly.
For example, a simple recent backache may require only one treatment, while a herniated disc may need several weeks of care.
With over 30 years of experience in this field and our evidence-based clinical judgment and your imaging exams, we will be able to answer this question accurately after meeting with you.
We cannot answer such a question over the phone:
"Good osteopaths do everything in their power to help their patients feel better as quickly as possible with as little treatment as necessary, ultimately reducing care to a follow-up plan as needed. They also give advice on how to avoid future problems by evaluating lifestyle activities, ergonomics, posture and orthotics."
- Are all patients treated the same way?
No, not all patients are treated the same at TAGMED. Therapists and staff take into account each patient and their unique condition to develop a personalized treatment plan that works best for each individual patient.
In short, no two treatments are the same because you are unique!
Osteopathy in Montreal and Terrebonne: the only emergency service providing you with competent osteopaths every day, except Saturday and Sunday.
At TAGMED, we offer emergency osteopathic treatment every day of the week, as well as traditional osteopathic care. Whether it's treatment for back pain or another condition such as bursitis, we will do everything possible to relieve you of your pain and symptoms as quickly as possible. Our osteopaths Our highly trained osteopaths have your well-being at heart: if your condition does not appear to be a health problem that responds well to osteopathic treatment, our osteopaths may suggest other types of therapy that are more effective for you, such as neurovertebral decompression, laser therapy or shock wave therapy.
Availability of our osteopaths and Osteopathic emergencies
Our goal is to offer you the best quality of care by osteopathy possible and to ensure that this care is affordable and easily accessible. In this regard, we provide you with osteopaths for regular treatments during the week by appointment and we can also welcome you for emergency care by appointment.
Personalized osteopathy treatments according to your expectations
Our osteopaths have completed extensive training in structural osteopathy, visceral osteopathy and cranial osteopathy. So, whatever the condition for which you consult our osteopathsIn addition, they will be able to provide you with a personalized osteopathic treatment based on your particular condition and your preferences regarding the type of osteopathic treatment you will receive.
Health conditions treated in osteopathy
Osteopathy is a form of manual medicine where the osteopath effectively treats many health conditions: back pain, muscular tension, pain due to osteoarthritis, not to mention certain disorders of pregnant women and infants. Here is a non-exhaustive list of conditions for which our osteopaths are very successful:
- Back pain (back pain, lumbago)
- Neck pain (cervicalgia)
- Headaches and migraines
- Lumbar sprain
- Back sprain
- Shoulder pain
- Arm pain
- Elbow pain
- Wrist pain
- Chest pain
- Leg pain
- Hip pain
- Knee pain
- Ankle pain
- Foot pain
Osteopathy does not solve everything
Other conditions such as herniated discs, bulging discs or discopathy (disc compression) respond better to our spinal decompression therapy than to conventional osteopathic treatment. Bursitis, tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, sprains, carpal tunnel and other inflammatory conditions respond better to laser. Finally, conditions where calcification is involved, such as calcifying bursitis or heel spur, respond better to Shockwave therapy treatments.
Osteopathy, a gentle and effective treatment
Osteopathy is a gentle and effective treatment for everyone that taps into the body's ability to heal itself. Osteopaths act directly on this self-healing capacity through manual treatment.
Osteopathy, a unique therapy
Based on the work of the pioneer A.T. Still, osteopathy is a therapy that relies on manual contact for diagnosis and treatment. Osteopathy removes tensions and restrictions in the body to promote structural and physiological harmony. It respects the relationship between the body and the mind. Although in the family of manual medicine, osteopathy differs from other therapies such as massage, chiropractic or physiotherapy, especially in its philosophy and treatment techniques.
The most competent osteopaths
TAGMED Clinic is committed to rigorous professional standards and membership criteria that ensure public safety by providing osteopaths with the highest level of training in manual osteopathy. TAGMED Clinic maintains an open and inclusive dialogue with osteopaths, educators, associations and government to ensure that we hire the best osteopaths available. The TAGMED Clinic continues to work to increase awareness of osteopathy and the osteopathic community.
What is osteopathy ?
Osteopathy is a profession that makes extensive use of manual diagnosis and treatment guided by the principles set forth by its founder, Andrew Taylor Still. Osteopathy emphasizes the relationship between the structure and function of the body. Osteopaths are functional anatomists who use manual therapy. Osteopaths focus on health care, rather than focusing on disease. In summary, osteopathic treatment aims to restore proper body mechanics, nerve impulses and circulation of body fluids.
What is osteopathic manual therapy?
The osteopaths at TAGMED Clinic are osteopaths who practice manual therapies. Osteopaths adhere to the theory that imbalances in human structure contribute to or are directly related to the development and/or maintenance of disease. Anatomy and physiology are the basis of osteopathic treatment. Osteopaths recognize that the human body has the ability to regulate and heal itself, if we strive to provide it with what it needs to maintain its health. Our role is to encourage this self-healing capacity through manual treatment by acting on the structure and physiology of the human body. We let nature do its work, that is to say, to eliminate all obstacles that could hinder the proper functioning of the cells that make up the body's tissues. Understanding and adjusting the anatomical unity of the human structure is our job.
What is an osteopath?
Osteopaths are educated and trained to work exclusively without the use of drugs or surgery, using manual methods for diagnosis and treatment. This is the main method of teaching in the world outside of the United States and is what is currently practiced in Canada. In this context, an osteopath is different from a doctor of osteopathy.
What is a doctor of osteopathy?
Osteopathic doctors are trained in osteopathic medical universities and are licensed and qualified to practice medicine in the United States, just like your family doctor. It is the only country in the world to offer a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree, recognized by all American and Canadian states. Most Doctors of Osteopathy work in hospital settings in much the same way as a family doctor does, and they are also found in almost every medical specialty. In addition, Doctors of Osteopathy may be eligible for medical licensure in many countries outside of the United States, as is the case in Canada.
Preparations for osteopathy treatment
- Book your appointment online or contact our staff at the TAGMED clinic to book your appointment by phone.
- Before going to the TAGMED clinic in Montreal or Terrebonne for your first treatment, there are some things you should absolutely do. First, make sure you have your medical imaging reports (X-ray, MRI, or ultrasound) available.
- After that, download, print and fill out our form below, with all the relevant information that may be needed for your treatment. Finally, before you come to the Tagmed clinic for your first treatment, familiarize yourself with the different treatments offered by our clinic and know what you can expect.
- Also, make sure you are aware of the various possible risks and side effects associated with treatment at Tagmed Clinic. You should also take all necessary measures (ex. Apply ice to the inflamed area to ensure that your body is ready for further treatment.
- Finally, if you were unable to complete our form, as mentioned above, arrive 15 minutes before your appointment time to ensure you have enough time to discuss your condition, make the assessment and your treatment.
To be completed before your consultation at TAGMED clinic
1150 Lévis Street, suite 200, Terrebonne, QC, J6W 5S6
1140 Beaumont Avenue, Mount Royal, QC, H3P 3E5